Contact Us for a Free Consultation 713-528-5200

Can I modify my child support agreement

  • Can I modify my child support agreement I have with my ex-husband? Divorce was finalized in April, separated since 11/15?

Ex works overseas, I have had the kids all year and he pays the standard child support. He hasn't seen them in that year. Shouldn't I be compensated for the days he was supposed to have them and didn't? Income is limited, I am paying all these expenses.

Robert's Answer

    • on Jul 1, 2017

The Courts put a very high burden on you if you if you seek a Modification within 1 year of divorce. It is much lower after 1 year. If you go back to Court you can seek a more realistic visitation schedule in line with the reality of your situation and also seek a more appropriate amount of child support. The child support % guidelines are just that... guidelines. There are at least 17 other factors the Court may consider in establishing child support.

Client Portal

No more phone tag. Our clients can view their case status, calendars, and updates or send us a message anytime 24/7 through our Client Portal.

(Please don't send us pics of your dog in a hat.)